"Faster Than Our Souls Can Go"

 Lyrics from Carrie Newcomer:  The Speed of Soul

“Faster than our souls can go.”


I was just sweeping in the kitchen thinking about my post for the day. I was truly enjoying the simple task of moving the broom across the floor. I was remembering the carrot soup we had for dinner the other night as I saw some orange smudges on the floor. There is something about sweeping that is very soothing. The rhythm of the motion. The spaciousness of a clean floor. It was clearing the cobwebs from my brain after having been at the computer for too long. I thought to myself, “Maybe I will write about sweeping.” 


Leslie saw me sweeping the floor and started reciting the Carrie Newcomer song: “I couldn’t even say what I had done.”...”So I spent the morning sweeping floors, I didn’t want much more, than to just do one thing at a time, and call it mine.”


Leslie said, “You remind me of that song!” 


If Carrie Newcomer can write about sweeping, I guess I will too!


 


Comments

  1. Fun post. I’ll need to research that song…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely found topic. I thought about sweeping today, too, but as yet haven't gotten past the thinking stage. I'm not sure if your slice is inspiring me or letting me off the hook since some sweeping got done somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder to find joy in the simple tasks of every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweeping doesn't give me that same soothing feeling :0 I have forgotten about Carrie Newcomer. She used to play in Bloomington, IN, not far from me. I will have to dig out her CDs and listen to some old songs! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neil Armstrong

Quiet Safe Place